Monday 6 April 2009

recent happenings



Just to catch you all up on where I am at the moment, I moved into my current flat on the 1st of march 2009 and after having got permission from the landlord that I could use the garden however I chose (being that it was a mass of tall grass, weeds and brambles) I started to panic at the amount of work needed to prepare the soil in time to start sowing seeds (the plan is to sow as much as possible directly into the soil as we don't have a great deal of window space). I started to chit potatoes on the 8th march, two main crop types (desiree and maris piper). I planted half of the desiree spuds out on the 29th. i sowed some seeds indoors on the 25th march (patriot F1 courgette, Marketmore Cucumbers, Runner Bean Enorma and Black beauty Aubergine) so far 4 seeds have germinated and appeared above soil, 1 Courgette and 1 Cucumber last week and this morning 1 Runner Bean and another Courgette. I have also dug up a lot of the garden and started to construct raised beds, although raised beds was not my original plan, but decided there wasn't enough time to get the soil prepared to start planting this month. So this is how the garden us looking so far, 3 of about 7 or 8 raised beds built and waiting to be filled which i will be doing by way of a topsoil/compost mix.


1 comment:

  1. Those raised beds look good!

    Flummery (from the Grapevine!)

    ReplyDelete